Vice-chair since 2022
LSCE/IPSL, Gif-sur-Yvette, France
Climate change impacts on ocean processes, ocean acidification on marine biogeochemical cycles, ecosystems and feedbacks, recent past and future evolution of the marine carbon cycle; predictability of biogeochemical state and its variability
Vice-Chair since 2019
Web page: Link
Centre for Marine and Environmental Research, University of Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Eutrophication, assessment frameworks of marine social – ecological systems, Regional Seas Conventions, marine environmental policy implementation, marine biodiversity assessments, science communication
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Aquatic Resources, Institute of Marine Research, Lysekil, Sweden and Swedish Institute for the Marine Environment (SIME), University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Ecosystem-based management for marine fisheries, ocean governance sustainability and resilience
Early Career representative since 2022
University of Liberal Arts, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Interdisciplinary areas of social-ecological systems – sustainability science, climate change adaptation and resilience, and the science-policy interface
Terms of Reference
IMBeR Scientific Steering Committee: Composition and Terms of Reference 2021Integrated Marine Biosphere Research (IMBeR) is an international project co-sponsored by the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR) and Future Earth. IMBeR’s mission is to Promote integrated marine research and enable capabilities for developing and implementing ocean sustainability options within and across the natural and social sciences, and communicate relevant information and knowledge needed by society to secure sustainable, productive and healthy oceans. The IMBeR Scientific Steering Committee (SSC) is responsible for the overarching leadership and scientific direction of IMBeR. This includes the successful completion of the scientific and capacity building objectives of the IMBeR Science Plan and Implementation Strategy. SSC members are officially appointed by SCOR and Future Earth from nominations from the existing SSC and an open call for applications from the international research community.
Composition of the IMBeR Scientific Steering CommitteeThere are three categories of SSC members:
- Scientific Steering Committee members (SSC)
- Executive Committee members (Exec)
- Ex-officio SSC members
- The Chair/Co-Chairs of IMBeR’s Regional Programmes and Working Groups
- A nominated representative from the host institutions of each of the IMBeR International Project Offices (IPOs), to serve as liaison between the SSC and the hosts, and to foster collaboration between IMBeR and the hosts.
- The Past Chair of the SSC. The out-going SSC Chair/Co-Chairs may serve an additional (seventh) year to support the in-coming Chair/Co-Chairs during the first year of their term.
IMBeR Scientific Steering Committee: Terms of Reference
- To oversee the implementation of the IMBeR Science Plan and Implementation Strategy.
- To demonstrate progress and achievements of IMBeR through the definition and monitoring of results and outputs of its existing Regional Programmes (ICED, SIBER, CLIOTOP, ESSAS) and working groups.
- To encourage publication of IMBeR-related science with appropriate acknowledgement of IMBeR, SCOR and Future Earth.
- To provide input from IMBeR and its related activities to the international scientific and policy arena.
- To engage the public and marine stakeholders in IMBeR activities.
- To actively seek funds for IMBeR-related activities from national, regional, and international funding agencies.
- To collaborate, as appropriate, with other SCOR and Future Earth projects, and other relevant programmes and organisations such as the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES), North Pacific Marine Science Organization (PICES), World Climate Research Programme (WCRP), Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC-UNESCO) and the Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS).
- To facilitate capacity building and career development of early career researchers in topics of relevance to the IMBeR Science Plan.
- To report regularly to SCOR and Future Earth on IMBeR’s accomplishments and the state of planning.
- Meet annually to review progress of the implementation of the IMBeR Science Plan.
- Undertake scoping exercises and advise the Chair/Co-Chairs and IPOs of activities which should be initiated or undertaken to progress the IMBeR Science Plan.
- Identify sponsors for meetings, workshops, summer schools and conferences.
- Identify research projects that could be affiliated to IMBeR.
- Attend, in full, the annual face-to-face and virtual meetings of the SSC.
- Commit to the equivalent of at least one work day per month, in addition to the SSC meetings, for IMBeR tasks or activities.
- Provide the best possible scientific information and advice concerning their field of specialisation as it relates to the IMBeR mission.
- Represent the scientific interests of IMBeR at relevant scientific meetings.
- Support the Chair/Co-Chairs and IPOs to organise, convene, and conduct meetings, workshops, conferences and summer schools.
- Provide guidance as requested or needed by the regional programmes.
- Keep the IMBeR SSC informed of all actions directly or indirectly related to IMBeR.
- Assist in securing financial and other support for the implementation of the IMBeR Science Plan.
The SSC Chair/Co-ChairsIn addition to the duties of SSC members, the IMBeR SSC Chair/Co-Chairs is/are expected to:
- Chair the IMBeR SSC meetings.
- Conduct the meetings in accordance with “best practice” guidelines.
- Undertake advocacy on behalf of IMBeR and ensure wide international participation in IMBeR.
- Work with the SSC and IPOs to implement agreed activities between IMBeR SSC meetings.
- Encourage the IMBeR community to acknowledge IMBeR and/or its sponsors where appropriate, with the relevant branding or text.
- Report periodically to SCOR and Future Earth on progress in implementing the IMBeR Science Plan.