IMBIZO II Integrating biogeochemistry and ecosystems in a changing ocean: Regional comparisons
Time: 2010.10.10 – 2010.10.14
Location: Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Workshop 1: The effect of varying element ratios on community structure at low trophic levels and food quality at mid and high trophic levels,
Workshop 2: Large-scale regional comparisons of marine biogeochemistry and ecosystem processes – research approaches and results,
Workshop 3: Sensitivity of marine food webs and biogeochemical cycles to enhanced stratification.
DRY CRUISE workshop: Prior to the IMBER IMBIZO, the Data Management Committee held a data management workshop. This covered the good data management practices given in the IMBER Data Management Cookbook followed by a DRY CRUISE during which the participants used and explored these techniques.
IMBIZO II awards
Best Oral – Workshop 1
- Paraskevi Mara – UOC, Greece
- Title: Nitrogen cycling in the Eastern Mediterranean sea: an isotopic perspective
Best Oral – Workshop 2
- Zouhair Lachkar – ETHZ, Switzerland
- Title: Coastal upwelling systems under changing climate: a comparative study of the California and the Canary current systems.
Best Oral – Workshop 3
- Ryan Rykaczewski – NOAA, USA
- Title: Decoupling of the temperature-nutrient relationship in the California current ecosystem with global climate change.
Best Poster – Workshop 1
- Andrew King – USC, USA
- Title: Variability in phytoplankton trace metal stoichiometry from culture and field-based studies.
Best Poster – Workshop 2
- Joel Llopiz – RSMAS, USA
- Title: The prey environment and feeding of larval fishes in the tropical open ocean with a comparison to higher latitudes.
Best Poster – Workshop 3
- Taketo Hashioka – JAMSTEC, Japan
- Title: Potential impact of global warming on North Pacific spring blooms projected by an eddy-permitting 3-D ecosystem model.
- Large-scale regional comparisons of marine biogeochemistry and ecosystem processes – research approaches and results
- Sensitivity of marine food webs and geochemical cycles to enhanced stratification
- IMBIZO II: JGOFS MEETS GLOBEC IN CRETE
- Toward a mechanistic understanding of trophic structure: inferences from simulating stable isotope ratios