Vice-chair since 2022
Climate change impacts on ocean processes, ocean acidification on marine biogeochemical cycles, ecosystems and feedbacks, recent past and future evolution of the marine carbon cycle; predictability of biogeochemical state and its variability
Vice-Chair since 2019
Web page: Link
Eutrophication, assessment frameworks of marine social – ecological systems, Regional Seas Conventions, marine environmental policy implementation, marine biodiversity assessments, science communication
Social-ecological systems; adaptive co-management; environmental governance; public participation
Ecosystem-based management for marine fisheries, ocean governance sustainability and resilience
Socio-economics, governance issues, stakeholder empowerment
Impact of eutrophication and ocean warming on phytoplankton shifts in coastal waters
Member since 2023
Web page: Link
Climate change adaptation, marine social-ecological systems, ecosystem modelling and assessment, biological oceanography, science policy
Terms of Reference
IMBeR Scientific Steering Committee: Composition and Terms of Reference 2021
Integrated Marine Biosphere Research (IMBeR) is an international project co-sponsored by the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR) and Future Earth. IMBeR’s mission is to Promote integrated marine research and enable capabilities for developing and implementing ocean sustainability options within and across the natural and social sciences, and communicate relevant information and knowledge needed by society to secure sustainable, productive and healthy oceans.
The IMBeR Scientific Steering Committee (SSC) is responsible for the overarching leadership and scientific direction of IMBeR. This includes the successful completion of the scientific and capacity building objectives of the IMBeR Science Plan and Implementation Strategy.
SSC members are officially appointed by SCOR and Future Earth from nominations from the existing SSC and an open call for applications from the international research community.
Composition of the IMBeR Scientific Steering Committee
There are three categories of SSC members:
Scientific Steering Committee members (SSC)
The SSC is comprised of around 16 full members including a Chair/Co-Chairs. Members are appointed for their specific expertise and experience to undertake particular tasks or responsibilities (e.g., championing the Grand Challenges or Innovation Challenges) to ensure the implementation of the IMBeR Science Plan. SSC members represent different marine science disciplines and geographic regions, and we aim for gender balance. They are appointed for a three-year term, which can be renewed once.
Executive Committee members (Exec)
The Executive Committee is formed by the Chair/Co-Chairs, and three SSC or Ex-officio members who they appoint to serve as Vice-Chairs. Each Vice-Chair serves as champion of one of the Grand Challenges outlined in the IMBeR Science Plan. Exec members work with the SSC and IPOs throughout the year, to ensure implementation of agreed activities, and meet electronically when necessary to discuss important issues that require a rapid decision. Exec meetings are always held prior to the two SSC meetings, to approve the agenda and preview the budget. The Exec advocates IMBeR and ensures wide international participation in IMBeR.
Ex-officio SSC members
Ex-Officio SSC members include:
- The Chair/Co-Chairs of IMBeR’s Regional Programmes and Working Groups
- A nominated representative from the host institutions of each of the IMBeR International Project Offices (IPOs), to serve as liaison between the SSC and the hosts, and to foster collaboration between IMBeR and the hosts.
- The Past Chair of the SSC. The out-going SSC Chair/Co-Chairs may serve an additional (seventh) year to support the in-coming Chair/Co-Chairs during the first year of their term.
IMBeR Scientific Steering Committee: Terms of Reference
- To oversee the implementation of the IMBeR Science Plan and Implementation Strategy.
- To demonstrate progress and achievements of IMBeR through the definition and monitoring of results and outputs of its existing Regional Programmes (ICED, SIBER, CLIOTOP, ESSAS) and working groups.
- To encourage publication of IMBeR-related science with appropriate acknowledgement of IMBeR, SCOR and Future Earth.
- To provide input from IMBeR and its related activities to the international scientific and policy arena.
- To engage the public and marine stakeholders in IMBeR activities.
- To actively seek funds for IMBeR-related activities from national, regional, and international funding agencies.
- To collaborate, as appropriate, with other SCOR and Future Earth projects, and other relevant programmes and organisations such as the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES), North Pacific Marine Science Organization (PICES), World Climate Research Programme (WCRP), Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC-UNESCO) and the Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS).
- To facilitate capacity building and career development of early career researchers in topics of relevance to the IMBeR Science Plan.
- To report regularly to SCOR and Future Earth on IMBeR’s accomplishments and the state of planning.
In undertaking these responsibilities, the SSC shall collectively:
- Meet annually to review progress of the implementation of the IMBeR Science Plan.
- Undertake scoping exercises and advise the Chair/Co-Chairs and IPOs of activities which should be initiated or undertaken to progress the IMBeR Science Plan.
- Identify sponsors for meetings, workshops, summer schools and conferences.
- Identify research projects that could be affiliated to IMBeR.
SSC members are expected to:
- Attend, in full, the annual face-to-face and virtual meetings of the SSC.
- Commit to the equivalent of at least one work day per month, in addition to the SSC meetings, for IMBeR tasks or activities.
- Provide the best possible scientific information and advice concerning their field of specialisation as it relates to the IMBeR mission.
- Represent the scientific interests of IMBeR at relevant scientific meetings.
- Support the Chair/Co-Chairs and IPOs to organise, convene, and conduct meetings, workshops, conferences and summer schools.
- Provide guidance as requested or needed by the regional programmes.
- Keep the IMBeR SSC informed of all actions directly or indirectly related to IMBeR.
- Assist in securing financial and other support for the implementation of the IMBeR Science Plan.
The SSC Chair/Co-Chairs
In addition to the duties of SSC members, the IMBeR SSC Chair/Co-Chairs is/are expected to:
- Chair the IMBeR SSC meetings.
- Conduct the meetings in accordance with “best practice” guidelines.
- Undertake advocacy on behalf of IMBeR and ensure wide international participation in IMBeR.
- Work with the SSC and IPOs to implement agreed activities between IMBeR SSC meetings.
- Encourage the IMBeR community to acknowledge IMBeR and/or its sponsors where appropriate, with the relevant branding or text.
- Report periodically to SCOR and Future Earth on progress in implementing the IMBeR Science Plan.