The Integrated Marine Biosphere Research (IMBeR) project is an international research initiative focused on marine biosphere research working towards sustainable oceans at a time of global change. IMBeR has two International Project Offices: IPO-China and IPO-Canada. IPO-China is stationed at the State Key Laboratory of Estuarine and Coastal Research, ECNU, Shanghai, China. IPO-China shares administrative responsibilities with IPO-Canada to administer IMBeR activities. In addition, IPO-China promotes IMBeR scientific research activities in the Asia-Pacific, Middle East, and African regions. IMBeR and ECNU are looking to appoint an enthusiastic and motivated Project Officer.
- Contributing to assessing and streamlining the data flow from IMBeR research projects and the publication database to users.
- Assisting with the standardization of collection and management of data from IMBeR’s activities (e.g., through registration forms for conferences and summer schools, and through post-event surveys).
- Assisting with the collection, analysis, and presentation of datathat can measure the broader impact of IMBeR.
- Assisting the Strategy Director and Deputy Director of the IPO-China with organization and coordination of international conferences and meetings, including meeting promotion, logistical arrangements, preparing meeting reports and deliverables.
- Assisting with the development of IMBeR communication tools (e.g., newsletters, posters, presentations, brochures, short videos, etc.).
- Assisting the IPO-China in cooperation with the IPO-Canada to provide logistical and administrative support for the IMBeR Scientific Steering Committee.
- Ph.D. degree in marine science, geography, or related field, and experience studying or working in international and multicultural environments;
- Knowledge of data management software, including GIS, webservices and data standards;
- Excellent command of English and Chinese, both spoken and written (mostly working in an English-speaking environment);
- Good communication skills: ability to report on progress and issues in an effective manner internally and externally; ability to facilitate virtual meetings;
- Excellent organizational skills and problem-solving ability with a capacity to multitask, deliver on allocated tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to devise simple low-cost ocean (organism) observing tools using open source sensors and software (e.g., smart-phone);
- Experience in data and/or database administration as well as data migration;
- Knowledge of illustrative and editing software (e.g., Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Corel VideoStudio);
- Previous experience in academic event planning and coordination.
The position is initially for one year, and the successful candidate will sign the contract of employment with ECNU. The salary will be around 150,000-200,000 in CNY per year, depending on the relevant skills, knowledge, and experience that the candidate brings to the role. In addition, medical insurance and other welfare benefits are provided in accordance with ECNU regulations and Shanghai local policy. Applicants in the final year of their PhD, need to graduate by 1 August 2023 to qualify for consideration.
To apply, please send a cover letter (in English) describing your research interests and explaining why you are interested in the position, your CV, and the contact details of two referees to email@example.com before 6 June 2023. Please use “Your Name + IMBeR Project Officer” as the email subject line. Applicant data will be treated as strictly confidential. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend interviews and tests.